Monday, June 23, 2014

What Kind of Tree Are You?

While looking for a new career one of the things I've been researching is different places to live. What kind of climate would I enjoy the most? I love long falls and springs so I started looking for climate data for U.S. cities to give me an idea of where to look for job ideas. As I read the descriptions for various cities, as pitched by the city websites, I noted that they frequently mentioned the types of flora in an attempt to promote their scenery.

I have a neighbor-friend who loves trees and everything about trees. He recites their genus, species, characteristics, climates, you name it. Trees have climates. They typically only grow where conditions are most suitable for that type of tree.

For fun my wife and I sometimes enjoy taking internet quizzes, even the stupid ones on Facebook. We often take them just to make fun of their absurdity. Recently we took a quiz on "What City Should You Actually Live In" which attempts to correlate food, drink and other random categories with ideal living conditions.

Wouldn't it be cool to redo the survey using a correlation that might have some actual chance of being based in reality?

What Kind of Tree Are You? First, take my neighbor's knowledge about trees and record it into a database. Particularly the bits about climate and characteristics, the kind of characteristics that could be related to human traits in a tongue-in-cheek fashion. The quiz will ask you about your personality traits and your climate preferences, and use them to correlate you to a type of tree. At the end of the quiz you get a report containing the tree's name, characteristics, and other pertinent details including the geographic areas where those types of trees thrive. Maybe you'd thrive there too, along with your kindred tree. I think the hardest part of the job would be collecting enough data regarding climate and tree types to give high geographic resolution. If the quiz only considered 15 of the top US cities then I would find it amusing at best, not a useful tool. But if it the database included details down to the county level, well that's a tool I'd actually consider using to make my next career move!

No comments:

Post a Comment