Monday, July 7, 2014

Sound Test Website

Background

Back when I was reviewing computer hardware for BenchmarkReviews.com I had the opportunity to learn about audio equipment, performance and files. I only wrote one article that dealt with surround sound, but I quickly learned that it's a format for which there is not a wealth of resources on the internet. At the time I really wanted an objective way to compare the quality of different surround sound formats. I happened across audiocheck.net, a website run by Stephane Pigeon that provides exactly what I wanted, only for stereo sound. I talked to Stephane about adding support for surround sound, but he had a different vision for his site.


The Idea

 What I would like to do is create a website much like his that includes audio files that can be used to test surround sound systems to make sure they are working correctly. I also want a blind test section that plays different audio clips that transitions sounds from one channel to the next (like footsteps, or a driving car or something) and have the user take a test to see if they can correctly identify the motion of the sound. This would provide one objective method to rate different pieces of hardware and different suround sound technologies.


Progress

07/07/2014 - Part of the problem when I first envision such a site was poor audio support by the browsers. Everything had to be performed via download and client-side software. With HTML5 and updated browsers I think this is now a real possibility.

09/13/2015 - It took me a year, but I finally decided on a language to learn. I'm taking the Full Stack Web Developer Nanodegree from Udacity. When I'm done I'll make this page in Python as part of my beginning portfolio...eventually.

No comments:

Post a Comment